The Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) was first reported in Wuhan City, in December 2019. It has spread quite quickly and was declared a pandemic on 13th March 2020. A pandemic is a worldwide epidemic/outbreak. To-date, Corona Virus has claimed thousands of lives worldwide. No case has been reported in Uganda yet, although cases have been reported in the rest of the East-African Countries. The president of Uganda recently gave directives on how to prevent the spread of the pandemic that have since been made available through the Media.
Here below, we bring to you some of the tips on the strategies you need to employ to prevent the pandemic.
- Avoid crowded places. The virus spreads quickly in crowds, and you are not sure of everyone in the crowd.
- Stop un-necessary travels, in public means here you are exposed to people from all ends. You don't know what they carry.
- Maintain social distancing Keep one meter off any person. Some carriers have no symptoms.
- WASH YOUR HANDS regularly wash your hands with water and soap. If possible, every after two
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to disinfect your hands regularly. Check to ensure alcohol
content above 60%.
- Avoid touching your Nose, eyes, and mouth before washing your hands.
- Use non-touch greeting Avoid hugs, handshakes, kissing, etc. Wave.
- Ensure a balanced diet rich in vitamins. Eat plenty of fruits.
- Self-isolate and report to a health center if you have fevers and flue like symptoms
- Do not share un-authentic messages about the COVID-19. These myths create wrong perceptions, can cause undue panic, and may soften the ground for virus to thrive. Do not share messages whose author or authenticity you doubt, or do not know.
A suspected case of COVID-19 is defined as A person with fever, cough, runny nose, headache, general body weakness and either: 1) history of travel from countries with confirmed cases, or 2) history of contact with a confirmed case or a sample from a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Report all suspected cases to MoH through:
Mr Kagirita 0782909153
Dr Muruta 0772460297 or text "ALERT" and send to 6767
Dr. Criscent Tumuhaise
Chairman - AMDA Health Council